The YMCA's Mission
To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
- Caring: to demonstrate a sincere concern for others, for their needs and well-being. Related values: compassion, forgiveness, generosity, and kindness.
- Honesty: to tell the truth, to demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness through actions that are in keeping with my stated positions and beliefs. Related values: integrity and fairness.
- Respect: to treat others as I would want them to treat me, to value the worth of every person, including myself. Related values: acceptance, empathy, self-respect and tolerance.
- Responsibility: to do what is right–what I ought to do, to be accountable for my choices of behavior and actions and my promises. Related values: commitment, courage, good health, service and citizenship.
Areas of Focus: Ys offer the programs we do for a reason. People need safe and enriching environments to try new things, develop skills, meet new people and show what they’re capable of. Achieving and maintaining health in spirit, mind, and body makes for a richer life and giving back to neighbors and those in need is our responsibility as neighbors, colleagues, and citizens. The Y defines our areas of focus–the programming you’re part of every day–like this
- Youth Development: Nurturing the potential of every child and teen. We believe that all kids deserve the opportunity to discover who they are and what they can achieve. That’s why, through the Y, millions of youth today are cultivating the values, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health and educational achievement.
- Healthy Living: Improving the nation’s health and well-being In communities across the nation, the Y is a leading voice on health and well-being. With a mission centered on balance, the Y brings families closer together, encourages good health and fosters connections through fitness, sports, fun and shared interests. As a result, millions of youth, adults and families are receiving the support, guidance and resources needed to achieve greater health and well-being for their spirit, mind and body.
- Social Responsibility: Giving back and providing support to our neighbors