Moderate-impact classes with high-impact results
Across the country, a growing number of Y associations offer Enhance®Fitness, an evidence-based group exercise program for older adults that uses simple, easy-to-learn movements that motivate individuals (particularly those with arthritis) to stay active throughout their life.
Here are some of the changes our participants have noticed:
• More energy
• Better balance
• Increases in upper body and lower body strength
• More flexibility and range of motion
• Better sleep
• More feelings of happiness
• Sense of independence
In addition to the physical benefits, research has shown that, among older adults who participate in Enhance®Fitness, health costs were lowered each year by close to $1,000.
Our aim: To help you feel better
Each class session includes cardiovascular, strength training, balance and flexibility exercises and the fostering of strong social relationships between participants. Enhance®Fitness is geared toward older adults. Those with a chronic condition, such as arthritis, need not worry; they will never have to do anything that hurts. Participants can use chairs for support, if necessary, and increase the weight they use for strength training at their own pace.
What you can expect:
- Classes meet three times per week for 60-minutes each.
- Some people will be standing, some will be seated-and some will use the chairs to hold onto for support.
- You’ll notice that participants move at a pace that’s comfortable for them.
- The class focuses on strength, flexibility, movement and balance.
- You’ll make friends who will support you and cheer you on.